[Oopse-developers] Implementation of the z-constraint method

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Fri Nov 7 09:03:24 EST 2008

Mario,

   Thanks for contacting me.  You ask an interesting question about
the sign of the balancing forces for the non-z-constrained molecules.
It has been a while since we implemented the z-constraint method, and
it is certainly possible that there was a typo in equation 81.  I
agree that if one wants to conserve total linear momentum in the
system, the sum of forces on the constrained and unconstrained
molecules should be zero.

However, the code appears to implement it exactly the same way as it
appears in the OOPSE paper, so I'll have to dig a bit and run a test
case to see if you have uncovered a bug in our code (as well as the
paper) or if I'm just forgetting how we derived the forces on the
unconstrained molecules.

To answer your second question, we originally tried two different z-
constraint force policies (by-mass and by-number).  Both seemed to
work fine, so your approach  (which I think is similar to the by-
number policy) should be just as good.

And your third point is completely correct.  In the code we actually
do normalize by
the total mass of the unconstrained molecules.

     return totalForce * mol->getMass() / totMassUnconsMols_;

Best regards,

  --Dan Gezelter

   J. Daniel Gezelter
   Associate Professor of Chemistry