[Openmd-users] Update

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Thu Jul 29 13:35:47 EDT 2010

Brett,

  You found a bug.  The self interactions for shifted force and shifted pot require summing up the net charge on topologically connected molecules.  We'd never tested a system that has multiple electrostatic atoms (e.g. charges, dipoles, quadrupoles) on a single molecule where there were *only* non-charge atoms.  I think I've fixed the problem (you can get the new code with "svn update"), or you can send me the infringing md file and I'll test it for you and release version 1.1.1

 --Dan

On Jul 29, 2010, at 6:00 AM, Brett Donovan wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> I think I might be something stupid here, in the META data section, if
> I include:
>
> electrostaticSummationMethod = "SHIFTED_FORCE";
>
> in the META section I get the following error:
>
> OpenMD FATAL ERROR:
>        Location: electrostatic
>        getCharge was called for an atom type that isn't a charge!
>
> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>

> =====
>
> On another note for your own internal interest, I have run so far up
> to 512 processors concurrently. The load balancing looks great! I have
> put a plot in here so you can see how things scale.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Brett
>

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Brett Donovan <brettdonovan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, I think there might be some ambiguity as the manual suggests that
>> the default is "shifted_force". So assuming I do not expressly put
>> this in the META section and I was expecting to get shifted force. I
>> guess its an issue of what takes precedence here, either the
>> cutoffRadius=switchingRadius or the explicit switch in the META
>> section.
>>
>> its not a problem now I know to put a n/v pair in the META section.
>>
>> Best

>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Dan Gezelter <gezelter at nd.edu> wrote:
>>> Brett,
>>>
>>> If you leave out the electrostaticSummationMethod and just have cutoffRadius set to the same value as switchingRadius, you get the shifted potential:  V(r) = V_{LJ}(r) - V_{rcut}
>>>
>>>  --Dan

>>> ***********************************************
>>>  J. Daniel Gezelter
>>>  Associate Professor of Chemistry
>>>  Director of Graduate Admissions
>>>  Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
>>>  251 Nieuwland Science Hall
>>>  University of Notre Dame
>>>  Notre Dame, IN 46556-5670
>>>
>>>  phone:  +1 (574) 631-7595