[Openmd-users] Development version

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Wed Sep 22 11:08:03 EDT 2010

Brett,

   There are a couple of integrators that might get close to what you want:

   NPTf:  flexible box geometry NPT  (shearing allowed)
   NPAT:  constant normal pressure, constant lateral surface area
   NPrT:  constant normal pressure, constant lateral surface tension
   NgammaT:  constant lateral surface tension, fixed z.

It sounds like NPrT is closest to what you want.  The z coordinate will couple to the targetPressure,  while x&y will couple to a surfaceTension.  This won't necessarily keep x & y locked to each other. However, in most membranes, they will stay fairly close.

If that doesn't do what you want, NPTxyz is already a utility integrator (it doesn't sample an ensemble with a known free energy like the NVT, NPT, and NPTf integrators do).  It could be easily cloned to make an integrator that scales x&y together.

 --Dan

On Sep 22, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Brett Donovan wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> Thanks for this! I have a quick question about ensembles, I'm
> equilibrating using the NPTxyz ensemble, however I'm keen to keep the
> square dimensionality of the membrane frame, i.e. couple x and y
> pressure wise but allow z to float independently. I don't know if this
> has been implemented in the schema?
>
> Best
>
> Brett
>

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Dan Gezelter <gezelter at nd.edu> wrote:
>> Brett,
>>
>>  In all honesty, you are probably going to want to wait a bit until we are done messing around under the hood.  The code to do the explicit interactions between atom types is in src/nonbonded/LJ.cpp, but the InteractionManager, which will handle the branching and bookkeeping to the various interactions in src/nonbonded, is currently one of the parts of the code that doesn't compile, and I haven't had a chance to fix the static dependencies and get it checked in.  InteractionManager replaces many things that had been in the fortran code (notably the do_pair routine in src/UseTheForce/doForces.F90).
>>
>> If you are under immense pressure for results, you could take the original version and attempt to hard-code an interaction in src/UseTheForce/DarkSide/lj.F90.
>>
>>  --Dan
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Brett Donovan wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Dan
>>>
>>> Got the dev copy. We're chomping at the bit to get the interaction
>>> matrix incorporated, I have not had the chance to go through the
>>> changes fully, do you know if its in the code as we are under quite a
>>> bit of pressure to incorporate some non LB mixing features.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Brett

>>  J. Daniel Gezelter
>>  Associate Professor and
>>  Director of Graduate Admissions
>>  Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
>>  251 Nieuwland Science Hall
>>  University of Notre Dame
>>  Notre Dame, IN 46556-5670
>>
>>  phone:  +1 (574) 631-7595