[Openmd-users] Custom rigidBody and defining force field

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Thu Nov 27 07:05:52 EST 2014

Martin,

  You do need to define the atom type in a force field file, and the force field can be quite a bit simpler than Amber for testing.  The other issue I saw was that the quaternions in this line:

    0    pvqj 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0  0.0 0.0 0.0  -1.8e-05 1.6e-06 1.9e-05

only had 3 entries.  There should be 3 positions, 3 velocities, 4 quaternions, and 3 angular momentum variables.  The convention we use for quaternions is defined on page 88 of Allen & Tildesley's "Computer Simulation of Liquids" book.   To orient the principal body axis along the z-spatial coordinate, we could choose the following Euler angles:

\theta = 0
\phi = 0
\psi = 0

These correspond to a set of quaternions q = (1, 0, 0, 0).

Anyway, I tested the three attached files, and you should be able to experiment further with these.  A couple of changes I made:  1) The _ (underscore) character has special meaning in the selection syntax, so I modified your atom types and rigid body definition.  2) The angular momentum was quite small, so I boosted it a bit so that you can observe the rotation in this simulation.

Try this with the attached files:

  openmd Ico.md
  Dump2XYZ -i Ico.dump
  jmol Ico.xyz          then go to "Tools" -> "Animate" -> "Once"

Best regards,

 --Dan Gezelter