[Openmd-developers] QHULL as static while building

Martin Vala mvala at saske.sk
Mon Sep 8 15:05:56 EDT 2014

Hi Hari,

i think that problem is

openmd-2.2/cmake/modules/FindQhull.cmake

where cmake is searching for library with name qhullstatic
(libqhullstatic) and by default when one installs qhull-devel one gets
libqhull.so

if(QHULL_USE_STATIC)
   set(QHULL_RELEASE_NAME qhullstatic)
   set(QHULL_DEBUG_NAME qhullstatic_d)
else(QHULL_USE_STATIC)
   set(QHULL_RELEASE_NAME qhull qhull${QHULL_MAJOR_VERSION})
   set(QHULL_DEBUG_NAME qhull_d qhull${QHULL_MAJOR_VERSION}_d
qhull_d${QHULL_MAJOR_VERSION})
endif(QHULL_USE_STATIC)

But can you answer me question i asked at beginning?

Is there a reason that openmd uses static lib instead of shared lib?
Because from c++ point of view it will only increase size of final
executable size. If one would compile qhull as shared size of executable
is smaller, but qhull shared lib would need to be in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
which i think is not problem.

Or am i missing something?

Ciao

Martin