[Openmd-users] Question regarding gcc4.2

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Sun Jun 27 23:21:43 EDT 2010

Dr. Akabani,

  You don't need the gcc 4.4 variants, but they do install a fortran compiler (which is not installed by default under Mac OS X with Xcode.  You can indeed use the +gcc42 variant for both fftw-3 and openmpi.

This is also likely the cause of your problem with atom2md.  That particular program is linked against the openbabel dynamic library, and the dynamic loading code is not portable from gcc 4.2 to gcc 4.4.  So, it would probably be advisable to step back the compiler to version 4.2.

Thank you for pointing this out.  It looks like we need to change the install instructions on the site to specify the gcc42 variants.

Best regards,

 --Dan Gezelter