[Openmd-users] Question regarding gcc4.2

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Mon Jun 28 10:56:23 EDT 2010

Gamal,

  I just updated the install instructions and tested on my Mac (OS X 10.6.4, Xcode 3.2.2, MacPorts 1.9.1).  Since the atom2md code links against the openbabel dynamic libraries, you need to use a compiler that is link compatible with the one that was used to build openbabel (which is usually gcc 4.2).  Also, the stock Xcode development environment does not come with a fortran compiler, so we need to build one to compile OpenMD.

The current version of MacPorts has a broken gcc42 port, but the gcc43 port does work well, so these commands will generate a build environment that will work:

sudo /opt/local/bin/port install subversion openbabel qhull zlib fftw-3
sudo /opt/local/bin/port install openmpi +gcc43

If you have versions of these tools already installed with other variants, you might want to clean up your ports a bit before running those two install commands:

sudo /opt/local/bin/port uninstall subversion openbabel qhull zlib fftw-3 openmpi gcc44
sudo /opt/local/bin/port clean subversion openbabel qhull zlib fftw-3 openmpi gcc44

Once the prerequisites are installed, you can follow the instructions here to get OpenMD built:

http://openmd.net/?p=83

Let me know if you run into any other problems.

Best regards,

 --Dan Gezelter

On Jun 27, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Gamal Akabani wrote:

> Hello there:
>
> First of all I am no genius. So I am sorry to post simple question but your help will be very much appreciated.
> I am new and I am trying to install openmd. So far I have no success.
> I followed very carefully the instructions for installing the “prerequisites”  at http://openmd.net/?p=56
> My computer is using gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5659).
> However, the instruction state that MacPorts are “directed” at gcc version 4.4 as indicated below.
>
> sudo /opt/local/bin/port install subversion openbabel qhull zlib
> sudo /opt/local/bin/port install fftw-3 +gcc44
> sudo /opt/local/bin/port install openmpi +gcc44
>
> Do I need gcc version 4.4 installed in my computer?
>
> Also, when I try to follow the example provided at http://openmd.net/?cat=4 I invoke
>
> atom2md -ixyz methanol.xyz
>
> It crashes with the following output
>
> atom2md(25909) malloc: *** error for object 0x10087d6c0: pointer being freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Abort
>
> Your help will be very much appreciated.
>
> Gamal Akabani, PhD.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Nuclear Engineering
> Texas A&M University