[Openmd-users] Soham: OpenMD question on simulating gradient (with interdiffusion) coreshell NPs

Dan Gezelter gezelter at nd.edu
Mon Nov 3 15:31:29 EST 2014

Soham,

That's an interesting problem.  I don't think we can create a gradient-composition NP using the builder programs without some modification, but there might be a (not very pretty) hack that would get you what you want.  If you create a sequence of increasing-radius particles, each with varying compositions, you could then use our md-solvator script.   md-solvator was intended to put particles or proteins in boxes of solvent by carving out solvent molecules that were within a fixed radius of any solute atom.   If you have a 100% Au particle of radius 5 treated as a solute, and a 90% Au particle as radius 10 treated as a solvent, then md-solvator might be able to combine the two in the way that you want.  If you repeat the process with larger "shells" you might be able to create a composition gradient.   Like I said, this isn't pretty, and I haven't tested it, but it just might do the job.

Let me know how it goes!

 --Dan Gezelter

> On Nov 3, 2014, at 9:49 AM, Soham Banerjee <sbanerjee23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Dr. Gezelter,
>
> My name is Soham, a graduate student working for Simon Billinge at Columbia. I'd like to start by saying that I am very new to using OpenMD (and MD in general) but I've really enjoyed it using so far. The installation, documentation and website are fantastic, and even in the early stages I've had much more luck creating discrete nanoparticle models compared to RMC, DISCUS, and other more primitive brute force methods I've tried. Thank you for your efforts in developing this open MD platform.
>
> Without taking up too much of your time, I'd like to ask for some advice on generating some bimetallic (AgAuNPs) structural models with openMD.
>
> 1) I've used mostly nanoparticleBuilder now, but it seems that will take either a molFraction or shellRadius argument, but not both (which is exactly what I want to do!) We have PDFs, Pair Distribution Functions (real space transforms of high resolution scattering data, but you knew this) of alloyed AgAuNPs that have varying concentrations of each species. We predict (from TEM-EDX line scans) that the NPs have a 'gradient core-shell structure.' That is, for example at r=0 there is 100% Au, r=5: 90% Au and so on (or something along these lines). Is it possible to simulate this gradient structure with nanoparticleBuilder, or maybe I should try something else (zconstraints?). I've tried a few different things, such as making many layers of each component, but I keep running into the problem of not being able to adjust the mol fraction of each 'shell' as I move out from the center of the NP. I've refined some PDFs from the openMD simulated structures, but as anticipated, the pure coreshell or completely random alloying aren't fitting the bill when I refine this against the experimental PDFs.
>
> I guess I only had one question, albeit a long one, for now! But, I feel the chances are solid that this is a simple task, I'm just not tackling it properly. You/your group has most certainly done this structural modeling with more interesting constraints (ie. http://www3.nd.edu/~gezelter/Research/images/cross_section_array_small.jpg, or your spontaneous alloying paper figure 5 with interdiffusion dependence).

> [...]

  J. Daniel Gezelter
  Associate Professor of Chemistry
  251 Nieuwland Science Hall
  University of Notre Dame